Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Faux-Tay-Toes

      I love mashed potatoes but they do not love my belly fat. Just a 1/2 of cup of plain mashed potatoes is probably 3 points plus I like to add butter and anything that makes it a comfort type food. This was what I grew up on and craved as I got older. Too bad I didn't realize how bad they were for my waist line until it was too late. This is my attempt to make lower carb and healthier!

     I bought this head of cauliflower at Aldi it was 1.99. I used half of a head for this recipe and I plan on using the other half for another recipe later in the week. Stay tuned.

     Break off the pieces of cauliflower or cut off with a knife. Place the pieces in a pot and steamed it until able to stab easily with a fork.


     . Drain very well because we're going to add stuff to it! This is a Tupperware small drainer that I just sit in my original pot I cooked my cauliflower in and then I went and got a shower.

Then I divided it in half and placed each in a cereal type bowl. In doing it this way I can control and measure how much additions I add to stay on plan.

 I bought Weight Watchers cream cheese for 1.98 at Wal mart. They also sell individual pre-measured, 2 point containers of cream cheese by the Weight Watchers brand but they were out on my grocery shopping day. On the label it said 20grams was 2 points so I used that amount. You can increase or decrease amount used based  on how many points you want to spend. I also love me some butter and used a whole serving for 2 points. If I had done this with potatoes my points value would be all the way to seven which is as much as the meat part of my meal or my whole point value for my total lunch.


Next I mash it up with a fork and add salt and pepper.

Yes this was my serving. So all you have to count is the cream cheese and butter  and you can have as much cauliflower as you want. I made a serving for my husband too but did not measure as closely as with my serving and yes he did eat it and say it was good. Mike is watching his carbs too and I'm sure this was better than all the salads he has been consuming every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment